Eyelid surgery, blepharoplasty, is a procedure performed under general or local anesthesia and on an outpatient basis.
This surgery is required to remove the bags under the eyes and cut out the excess skin falling over the eyes, aesthetic effects of aging or when the patient has difficulty wide opening their eyes.
It lasts approximately 1 to 2 hours according to the procedure, if it is in the lower eyelid, upper eyelid or both.
The procedure of the internal lower eyelid is to remove the skin and fat of the upper eyelids to get them back to their natural state and shape, providing a younger aesthetic appearance.
The procedure of the external lower eyelid starts with an incision under the lower eyelashes.
The fat is removed and the skin and muscles are reshaped. Thus, an internal improvement of the muscles holding the tissues and tightening the lower eyelid is produced.
How long does recovery last?
• Recovery time is approximately 1 week. Swelling will disappear between 1 to 3 months.
Does surgery cause incapacity?
• Incapacity is reduced to 2 days of absolute rest and 1 day with sanitary towels.
Which care should be applied?
• Nurse assistance during the first day of post-operative recovery.
• Take all prescribed medicines
• Go to all medical controls
• Avoid exercising during 4 weeks.
• Not to wear glasses during the first 4 weeks
Which procedure should I choose, external or internal?
• The procedure which should be chosen depends on the characteristics of the lower eyelid.
• Factors such as flaccidity of the skin and volume of the fat of the eyelid bags should be taken into consideration.