Ear surgery, otoplasty is a procedure performed under general or local anesthesia and on an outpatient basis.
This surgery is required to correct the position of the ears, increase or reduce their size and modify the curvature of cartilages.
It lasts approximately between 1 and 3 hours according to the complexity of the procedure.
The procedure starts with some cuts (incisions) behind the ears where the surgeon operates the cartilage, removing the excess and fixing its curvature.
Incisions are performed in the natural fold of the ear, which does not leave any surgery trace.
How long does recovery last?
• Recovery time is approximately 6 weeks.
Does surgery cause incapacity?
• Incapacity is reduced to 3 to 5 days. In general, kids require one week-recovery.
Which care should be applied?
• Wear a hairband for 1 month.
• Take all prescribed medicines
• Avoid exercising during 2 months
• Go to all medical controls
At what age should the surgery be performed?
• This surgery may be performed with no age limits in adults, whereas it should be performed between 6 and 14 years of age in kids due to the complete development of ears.
Esta entrada también está disponible en: Spanish